Whether it’s a freezing winter day or a hot summer day, I love using the crockpot to make dinner. The flexibility of being able to walk away from the kitchen while your dinner is cooking is a life saver for busy SAHMs chasing toddlers, running around doing school and activity pick-ups and drop-offs, or trying to survive the newborn sleep deprivation haze.
I found this recipe at chelseasmessyapron.com and made some changes to incorporate more vegetables into this yummy dish. I don’t know about you, but it can be a super-human challenge to get my little ones to eat veggies sometimes. So if I can add them to a delicious one pot dinner, I’m gonna!!!
Makes about 6-8 servings
1 pound ground turkey
1 and 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa*
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles
2 medium sized zucchini grated
1/2 cup salsa
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 medium to large onion diced
1 sweet bell pepper diced
1 cup water
1 can (19 ounces) enchilada sauce**
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
Shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese to top
Optional: 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, sour cream, green onions, 1 small jalapeño chopped, fresh chopped cilantro.
* If the quinoa you have is not pre-washed, measure it out and put in it a fine sieve and rinse for about 2 minutes.
**Read those labels and opt for the one with the least amount of sodium. You can also use two 10 ounce cans if you can’t find a 19 ounce can.
1) In a large skillet, cook the ground turkey until browned through. Drain out any grease and place in the slow cooker.
2) Add in the uncooked quinoa, the black beans, the frozen corn, the diced tomatoes (not drained) and green chilies (not drained), the salsa, and minced garlic.
3) Add onion, zucchini and bell pepper to the slow cooker. If desired add jalapeño.
4) Add the water, enchilada sauce, chili powder, and cumin.
5) Stir everything together really well. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 to 3 and a 1/2 hours or until the liquid is all absorbed into the mixture.
6) Once it is done cooking, remove the lid and stir everything again.
7) If desired stir in fresh cilantro, add in the fresh lime juice and chopped green onion.
8) Top with shredded cheese.